National Public Lands Day: Let’s Help Elk…and Their Ilk
September 20, 2016
Ever enjoy a picnic at the park? Trek down a hiking trail? Raft a local river? If so, now might be the time to give a little back. National Public Lands Day (NPLD) is Sept 24, and Toyota encourages all of its team members, dealers and customers to offer a little nurture to nature.
Here are just a few of the tasks Toyota volunteers nationwide are tackling this year:
- Toyota Mississippi will host its second NPLD event at Tombigbee State Park, as part of a five-year, $250,000 commitment. Projects include building a regulation size tee-ball field, updating playground equipment, installing split rail fence throughout the park, clearing trail heads and rebuilding handrails, benches and bridges along a nature trail that has been closed for nearly 10 years.
- Team members in Indiana will help construct a playground, landscape, mulch a walking trail, assemble picnic tables and add grills (not grilles) to a shelter house area at the Hopkins Family Park in Francisco, Ind. This is phase one for the park, which is scheduled to open next month.
- Toyota team members from Bodine Aluminum in Troy, Mo., are partnering with Cuivre River State Park to construct an ADA-accessible (Americans with Disabilities Act) picnic shelter near the ADA fishing dock (which the plant donated funds to help construct in 2014). At Toyota Bodine Aluminum in Jackson, Tenn., volunteers will work at Liberty Garden Park while team members from the Bodine St. Louis plant will help clean up trails at Vinita Park.
- Volunteers in the Dallas area will mulch trails and assist with other projects to help prepare the Oak Point Park and Nature Preserve in Plano for winter.
- Toyota Texas will partner with the San Antonio Mitchell Lake Audubon Center, where team members, their families and local students will clear wildlife areas, trim trails and garden campus grounds. In addition, they will present the facility with a $15,000 check to further efforts to conserve park land.
- In support of NPLD, Toyota Alabama is partnering with the Land Trust of North Alabama on a trail development project at the nearby Wade Mountain Nature Preserve.
- For the fourth year in a row, Southern California team members will show their stewardship at the White Point Nature Preserve and Education Center in San Pedro. Projects will include watering native plants, laying mulch, removing invasive weeds and more. Team member Ernie Lopez will be recognized this year with an Outstanding Volunteer award for his continued commitment.
- Toyota Kentucky volunteers are teaming up with Salato Wildlife Education Center to build fencing throughout the Frankfort park, make improvements to the quail exhibit and mulch around fields that house bison and elk to reduce weeding. Salato park authorities say that NPLD volunteers in 2015 completed work in one day that would have taken them a year. Raise an antler to that.
Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas, Inc.
Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Mississippi, Inc.
Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Kentucky, Inc.
Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Indiana, Inc.
Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Alabama, Inc.
Bodine Aluminum, Inc.
Toyota North Texas